Dr. Bruce is a certified member of Functional Movement Systems (FMS). The FMS is a ranking and grading system that documents movement patterns that are key to normal function. By screening these patterns, the FMS readily identifies functional limitations and asymmetries. These are issues that can reduce the effects of functional training and physical conditioning and distort body awareness.
The FMS generates the Functional Movement Screen Score, which is used to target problems and track progress. This scoring system is directly linked to the most beneficial corrective exercises to restore mechanically sound movement patterns.
Dr. Bruce will monitor the Functional Movement Therapy score to track progress and to identify exercises that will be most effective to restore proper movement and build strength in each individual. In the Faulty Movement Pattern courses functional evaluation is a key.
What’s unique about the functional paradigm:
- We base treatment of functional not structural pathology
- We distinguish pain and dysfunction & focus treatment on dysfunction
- The goal of care is resumption of activities, not pain relief
- There are no protocols only principles
- Therefore, each patient or athlete’s routine is customized
Benefits of the FMS
- Focus on the fundamentals of movement
- Facilitate communication with both clients and physicians
- Identify physical imbalances, limitations, and weaknesses
- Establish a functional baseline to mark progress
- Improve fundamental movement patterns with simple corrective exercises
- Individualize training and conditioning programs for specific results
- Reduce the potential for training and sports injuries